Download week six
In Class Activity Plan
- You should whiteboard after the first page (making pie charts).
– Goals here will be to push them towards the answers to the questions on page 2.
– Suggest energy at the top should be proportional to both mass and height.
- For many students this will be the first time they have ever had to design their own experiment. So this lab will both take a long time, and be difficult for some students.
– The proposal must have a model associated with it, and must identify what measures are going to be made and how the data is going to be analyzed.
– Also, the teacher must be very good at evaluating experiments on the fly. They may think of things that would work, but we haven’t thought of before.
- Possible experiments:
– Drop the ball from different heights and record the speed at the bottom. They can then make a graph of EIg and Ek and get a linear fit.
– Also a possibility of rolling things on rails and measuring speeds.
20 min – Whiteboard – Investigating Energy Conservation
PURPOSE: Share experimental designs and results for equations for Eg and Ek
Video Example: (Whiteboarding)
- What did you learn?
- What rules can you make?
- What questions do you still have?
45 min – Board Meeting
PURPOSE: Compare experimental designs and results for Eg and Ek, reach consensus about how to calculate Energies.
- Need to define system (Schema)
- Use pie charts to help you determine what needs to be measured
- Strategy 1
– EIgo – EIgf
– Plot Ek vs. v
– Fit a curve in Excel
- Strategy 2
– EIgo = magh
– Ekf = m (Dv/Dt)( ½ag(Dt2))
– Ekf = m (Dv/Dt)( ½(Dv/Dt)(Dt2))
– Ek = ½mv2
– Must be supported by data!
- Energy Pie Charts are a representation of the Equation of Everything (energy conservation)
20 min – Whiteboard – 1-d problem using both kinematics and energy conservation
PURPOSE: Compare and contrast strategies for making calculations on constant a model using kinematics and energy;
Cubs fan throws his hat straight into the air at 7m/s.
10 min – Board Meeting
PURPOSE: Show how basic constant a models obey energy conservation and give same results.
Emphasize energy as an easy approach that works well in some situations.
60 min – Whiteboard – Redo 2-d problems they’ve already done now using energy &/or additional problems
Note: These are often done, but not discussed in a board meeting since they have done them previously.